I have my frmMainwhich has RichTextBox1 and I have a button btnfind&Replacewhich whose click event pops out another minute form frmFindandReplace which has two textboxes: TextBoxSearch and TextBoxReplace with two buttons: replaceButton and findButton. I cannot seem to get my code for instances of finding a word in textbox and an instance of replacing it. Here is my code:
Public Class frmFindandReplace
Dim txtClientArea As RichTextBox
Private Sub TextBoxSearch_TextChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBoxSearch.TextChanged
End Sub
Private Sub frmFindandReplace_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
End Sub
Private Sub replaceButton_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles replaceButton.Click
End Sub
Protected Friend Sub findButton_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles findButton.Click
Dim a As String
Dim b As String
a = TextBoxSearch.Text
b = InStr(StartPosition, a, txtClientArea)
If b Then txtClientArea.Focus()
txtClientArea.SelectionStart = b - 1
txtClientArea.SelectionLength = Len(a)
txtClientArea.ScrollToCaret()
End Sub
The findButton code doesnot even work. Throws an error!
Error 3: Overload resolution failed because no accessible 'InStr' can be called with these arguments: 'Public Function InStr(Start As Integer, String1 As String, String2 As String, [Compare As Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompareMethod = Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompareMethod.Binary]) As Integer': Value of type 'System.Windows.Forms.TextBox' cannot be converted to 'String'. 'Public Function InStr(String1 As String, String2 As String, [Compare As Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompareMethod = Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompareMethod.Binary]) As Integer': Value of type 'System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox' cannot be converted to 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompareMethod'. C:\Users\Joseph GodwinKE\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\simpleapp\frmFindandReplace.VB 25 13 Simple app
I know I have not done much but am new and all my efforts of searching a solution over the internet have failed! Thank you I hope someone will help me pls.